In the fall of 1941 the Reverend Thomas McKinney, a recent graduate from Dallas Theological Seminary, established an evening Bible study class in Memphis, Tennessee. The response to the class was so encouraging that a group of Christian men began investigating the potential of establishing a permanent institution that would provide an opportunity for the study of the Bible and Bible-related subjects.
On December 13, 1944, a Board of Directors met to establish such an institution as allowed under the laws of the State of Tennessee. Dr. T. Stanley Soltau was the first Chairman of the Board and the Reverend Thomas McKinney was the Director of the Mid-South Bible Center. The MSBC received its charter of incorporation on December 19, 1944.
Reverend McKinney resigned in 1947 and was succeeded by Dr. J. Howard Goddard in 1948. Under Dr. Goddard’s direction the MSBC established a three-year Bible Institute and enrolled ten students in the fall semester of 1948. The State of Tennessee authorized an amendment to the Charter of the MSBC to change the name to Mid-South Bible Institute.
In May 1955 Dr. James B. Crichton was elected as the successor of Dr. Goddard. A non-credit Adult Education Program was established in September 1955 and, simultaneously, a one-year Basic Bible Course was introduced in the Day School curriculum.
On February 14, 1957, the Education Committee recommended to the Board that the Mid-South Bible Institute introduce a four-year Bible college program into the curriculum. The program was formally approved on April 10, 1958 and was introduced that fall. A second amendment was granted by the state on May 26, 1960 changing the college name to Mid-South Bible College.
Mid-South Bible College began a Teacher Education program in 1982 to prepare Christian men and women to teach in schools. Majors were offered in social sciences, natural sciences, elementary education, music education, and church music. The decision was subsequently made to seek accreditation by the College Commission of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Accreditation was granted in January 1986. A four-year Bachelor’s degree program in Psychology was added in the fall of 1985 and a major in Business Administration was added in 1987.
Dr. James B. Crichton, long-time President of the College, died in 1984 and was replaced by Dr. Robert J. Hilgenberg. The Board of Directors approved another name change in 1987 to honor President Dr. James B. Crichton. The name change also reflected the academic changes in the school, from a Bible college to a Christian liberal arts college.
Under the guidance of Presidents Dr. Lawrence McGrath and Dr. Larry R. Brooks, the college began offering a successful degree completion program in the early 1990’s. President Dr. Ronald R. Schmidt led the school’s relocation to Highland Avenue in March 2002 and retired in August 2003 due to illness. The Board of Directors elected Dr. Larry B. Lloyd as President in May 2004.
Under the leadership of Dr. John M. Borek, Jr., who was appointed President of the College on April, 2009, Crichton College became a private, for-profit institution of higher learning. In May 2010, the Board of Directors approved the name change to Victory University.
Effective August 1, 2011, Dr. Shirley Robinson Pippins became President of Victory University.